Monday, October 15, 2012

Transonic Clouds Forming

After watching the supersonic flights on this YouTube video , I realized that it is possible to see condensation clouds forming right before the tip of the aircraft/rocket. I then asked myself where have I seen this before? A quick visit to my SR 700 flight and I was able to see this phenomenon in my own flight!

 
 At around 0:25 seconds in the video the cloud becomes visible for a short time then disappears as it goes beyond the sound barrier (i think).

2 comments:

  1. Are you sure that went supersonic? Sure didn't look like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually I have no device to report if it did, but based on simulation it would have went Mach 1.1. The only thing I was using as an indicator is the transonic vapor cloud that appeared on the nosecone. Supersonic is really ambitious I know, Only way this would go near MACH (From what we see) is at the very end of the burn.

    ReplyDelete